Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vintage Cellar Tasting, March 17th

All the wines we tasted were from the Roanoke Valley.


Name: Castell del Remei Blanc Planell
Variety: 54% Macabeo, 46% Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Catalonia
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $9.95

Winery Review: 89 Points, Wine Enthusiast. Easy, chiseled and refreshing stuff from Catalonia that's 54% Macabeo and 46% Sauvignon Blanc, by no means a common combo in Spain. Aromas of lime are clean, while the palate locks in on orange and grapefruit flavors with perfect acidity. Delightful salad and appetizer wine.

My Review: I did not enjoy this wine very much. I agree with the review that it was very zesty and had notes of lemon and lime.

I did not have food with this wine.

Name: Le Vigne des Sablons Vouvray
Variety: N/A
Region: Loire Valley
Country: France
Year: 2010
Price: $12.95

Winery Review: From clay and limestone, naturally slightly sweet, but balanced from high natural acidity. All tank aged to retain freshness, loaded with minerals and aromas of white and yellow acacia flowers, apricots, and pears. A great apritif or lovely with white fish or blue veined cheeses.
My Review: A very good white wine. It smelled a bit like apples and chemicals, but its taste was very sweet and grape filled.

My Review: I liked this wine a lot! It was very fresh and I tasted some of the fruity notes like pear.

I did not have food with this wine.

Name: Grange Philippe Gipsy Rosé
Variety: 60% Syrah, 40% Grenache
Region: Pays D'Oc
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $11.95

Winery Review: A wine with strong pink color, excluding floral notes and red berries. Fat and round, it coats the palate before finishing on a final balance without bitterness. 60% Syrah 40% Grenache.

My Review: I enjoyed this wine, but I am a fan of rose. It was sweet and light. The nose on this wine was very pleasing there were notes of strawberries and raspberries.


I did not have food with this wine.


Name: Maison Foucher Chinon La Vigne en Véron
Variety: Red
Region: Aquitaine
Country: France
Year: 2010
Price: $12.95

Winery Review: This Chinon comes from the villages of Riviere, Beaumont en Véron and Savigny en Véron. The soils here are a mix of Argilo Calcaire and gravel which tend to produce wines that are a bit more approachable with soft tannins and lovely fruit. The core of the blend is cuvee of old vines (45-50 years) raised mostly in used barriques, 1-3 years old. The balance is aged in tank, creating a wine that is bright, fresh and aromatic, with a lovely cut. A perfect wine for picnics or by the glass in bistro like settings.

My Review: This wine was very dry and very spicy. It was very heavy, especially after the rose, and smelled of green peppers.

I did not have this wine with food.


Name: Castell del Remei Gotim Bru
Variety: Red
Region: Catalonia
Country: Spain
Year: 2008
Price: $12.95

Winery Review: The flavours of dark cherries are complemented by some red fruit and savoury, almost minty, notes coming through as the wine opens up. A touch of balsamic and some firm tannins round out a thoroughly enjoyable wine. An interesting one for Rioja fans to try, as it does enough to be different, but still ought to appeal with its similar flavour profile. A good match for roast lamb (like all good Rioja).

My Review: This wine was very acidic and a lot of the tannic components came through. I didn't enjoy it very much.

I did not have this wine with food.



No comments:

Post a Comment